POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Managing Complexity : Managing Complexity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Managing Complexity
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 23 Oct 2002 13:34:08
Message: <3db6dd90@news.povray.org>
This is likely to generate one or two unintelligable responces...

I'm currently working on - ok, well actually I'm currently working on about
half a dozen things; I usually am! But anyway, one of the things I'm
currently working on is me optical (laser-powered) Enigma machine. I've had
about 4 goes at it now, and every time the code gets more and more
complicated, and it gets harder and harder to follow what's happening, never
mind change anything.

This is probably one of the most complicated scenes I've ever attempted! (My
usual work consists of a few spheres, some texturing, and one of POV-Ray's
advanced features - photons, media, that sort of thing.) The only other
thing I've ever made which was this complex was when I tried to make a model
of a 4-stroke engine. I eventually gave up on that because it got too
complicated.

Anyway, clearly this doesn't bother anyone else. So I was just wondering...
how do you folks build complex scenes who's sources can still be read and
modified? (Or are you all just supremely fluky and get it perfect first
time? ;-)

Not a very specific question I know, but let's see what kinda answers I
get...

nam et ipsa scientia potestus est!
Andrew.